Thursday 23 January 2014

Roma, Italia: Day 1

On Monday we had to catch the 3:34am train to get to the airport in time for our flight to Rome. I got up at 2:15am to shower before we left. I basically took a 2.5 hour nap before we headed off. We left from Manchester and got into Rome about 10:30am. We then took a train to head to the apartment we were going to stay at. For those of you who like to travel I would always recommend finding something on VRBO rather than staying in a hotel or hostel, especially if you are traveling with more than 3 people. It is much cheaper and so much nicer to stay in a home like place. I have gone through VRBO several times and have never been disappointed (here and in the states). Anyway, after we checked in we decided to go to the Colosseum, then to Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps. We of course ate gelato and it was delicious. The first flavors I tried were hazelnut and black cherry. I wasn't a huge fan of the hazelnut, but liked the black cherry. Rach got lemon and I loved it. After all that we headed to the apartment to relax and get some sleep. Here are some pictures from out first day:

Seeing the Colosseum for the first time

Colosseum

Krystle, Rach, and Simon on a column

This is underneath the Colosseum, where they would have housed the animals, etc.

Me and Simon 

Rach and I by the top of a column

Rach and her precious

Ancient stone writing

Simon and some column tops

See something unusual?

Simon acting like the statue head

My impression

The inside of the Colosseum with part of the stage they rebuilt (the original was destroyed)

One of my favorite pictures from the outside

Simon in front of the Colosseum

Simon leaning into ancient ruins

Rach and Simon in front of some pretty buildings

Caesar

My favorite building that I saw in Rome

St. Peter's pillar

Me, Rach, and Krys in front of the museum (my fav building)

Simon made me do it

Our tour guide

Me and Simon in front of the Trevi fountain (Simon doesn't care to come back to Rome so we did not throw 3 coins in- he has this thing about going to the same place twice, thinks it is pointless when there is so much to see)

Trevi Fountain

Truffles- look like poop if you ask me

Rach and Krys next to Pinocchio 

Me and Simon eating gelato for the first time

Rach and Krys

The top of the Spanish steps

The top of the Spanish steps and the obelisk Cleopatra gave to Caesar Augustus

No comments:

Post a Comment