Wednesday 8 January 2014

Tender Mercies from 2013: Part 2

Since Simon and I knew we would be moving to England when we got married, we immediately set up a savings plan so that we could move to England and not accrue any debt from the move. Since I was unable to obtain a work visa, our planned savings has been essential while we have been here. I know the Lord helped us financially in 2013 to be able to save for England. We had a goal savings amount in mind and we were able to reach and surpass it before we moved here. It has been a huge tender mercy while being here with me not working. Part of that was in part to Simon being promoted to a manger at his job in Provo, UT. He was promoted in February 2013. The extra money coming in from his promotion helped us save even more. We are very grateful for that extra savings.

In February of 2013 my sister Becky came to visit with her two little girls. She was 37 weeks pregnant (don't ask me why a 37 week pregnant lady would take a road trip from Cali to UT, but she did). I have always wanted to be in on the labor and delivery of one of my nieces or nephew, but my siblings have always been against it. I have been fascinated with labor and delivery since I took two Women's Health classes at BYU. Anyway, one night while she is visiting Becky comes in to our room and says she is going to have the baby. It is 3AM on February 13th (which also happens to be her oldest daughter's birthday, Kylie). She tells me I have enough time to shower before we head to the hospital (I am the designated Kyle stand in, Kyle is her husband). She has already showered and called Kyle at midnight to tell him the baby is coming (he is in Cali). She told him to sleep until 5AM and then start driving. He wouldn't make it in time anyway, so he might as well come a little rested. So, off Becky and I go to the hospital, which she just happened to deliver her other two girls at AND her doctor happened to be in that day (coincidence, I think not... tender mercy). We get in about 5AM and they take her to this little room to monitor her progress before the admit her. At 6AM they check her and she had dilated further so they check us in to a bigger and better room. I was there when she got her epidural, but I stayed on her face side because I don't like needles. We waited a couple of hours and then BAM. Nurse checks and she is ready to push, doctor comes in, other nurses come in, and before I know it the whole crew is there. I had no idea what a party it becomes. I get to hold one of Becky's legs while she pushes and 2 seconds later a beautiful little girl comes out! It was so fast and so amazing!!! Phoebe Joy entered this world. I got to cut her umbilical cord and stayed with her as they weighed, measured, and cleaned the "cheese" off her while they stitched up Becky (blood isn't really my thing). It was such a peaceful and beautiful experience. I have a lot of fears about giving birth, but this experience made me a lot more calm about it. A definite tender mercy and a special gift to be apart of Phoebe's birth.

1 comment:

  1. I still cannot believe Becky had her baby in Utah without Kyle! How lucky to have you there as support, definitely a tender mercy!

    ReplyDelete