Saturday 15 February 2014

Stormy Weather

Wednesday we had terrible weather here in Chester. It reminded me of tropical storm weather in the states. The winds were crazy and it rained pretty much all day. Trains were shut down because trees were down on the tracks and trees were hitting power lines. I went out with the sisters around 3:15pm and when we were in the investigators home for the lesson, I thought the windows were going to break due to the wind. After the lesson I came home for about 20 minutes and then Simon walked me to my bus stop where I go to catch the bus to teach Seminary. Simon suggested I cancel Seminary due to the weather, but I thought it would be too short of notice so I went ahead and got on the bus. The bus ride was one of the scariest in my life. The bus felt like it was going to start rolling because the wind was knocking it back and forth. It was packed because everyone was trying to get home due to the weather. There were people on the phone saying they were cancelling their evening plans to go home because they were afraid buses would stop going. I started getting nervous because I was heading somewhere and wouldn't be traveling home for another 3.5 hours.

Once I get off the bus I have a 10 to 15 minute walk to the chapel from the bus stop. I seriously thought I was going to be blown away. I get to the chapel and no one is there (normally 2 of my students are already there). I called Simon to get a member of the Young Women's presidencies number to see if mutual was cancelled. I called and it was and all meetings were cancelled. No one had called me to let me know so I had travelled to the chapel for no reason. Ha. In their defense someone tried messaging me on facebook, but since I was out with the sisters I didn't see it until after I got home. Luckily, the sister I called was insistent to come and pick me up from the chapel because she did not want me riding the bus home. I was so grateful! I felt bad though that she braved the bad weather for me, but I was relieved I didn't have to ride the bus home. Anyway, we made it back to Chester safe and sound and I was home in time for the missionary lesson with John. The Elders taught the Plan of Salvation. It was another good lesson. John has been reading the Book of Mormon and is progressing really well. They are all coming over for dinner on Sunday and to watch the Restoration dvd.

Southern England  and Coastal Wales haven't faired so well with all the rain and storms. Here are some stats and pictures from the news of the conditions in those places. 24 severe flood warnings were issued last night for England and Wales. 120,000 homes are without power. 32 people were trapped in a restaurant last night and the Army had to get them out. Pray for them!




3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, scary! it looks like southern England and Wales look more like Venice now....glad you made it home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I do not like busses!! Glad you made it home safely and please thank the sister that gave you a ride hem for me!
    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete