Monday 9 December 2013

Seminary

A few weeks ago I was approached by a man in the church parking lot (who I did not know) who asked if he could meet with me sometime during church that day.  I said yes because I had no idea who he was and was intrigued that he obviously knew me.  As Simon and I walked into the building I asked him who the man was and he told me that it was our Bishop’s father, President Goble (who happens to be a member of our stake presidency).  At this point I was wondering why he wanted to meet with me, but assumed that a calling would be extended.  He met with Simon first right before Sacrament meeting and then met with me.  When I went in to meet with him he asked if I would be a seminary teacher!  I was shocked.  This calling on my list of possibilities did not even cross my mind.  I immediately became nervous and excited at the same time.  I accepted the calling and was sustained and set apart later that day.  When he set me apart he gave me a beautiful blessing that I will try to remember as I teach my students.

The nice thing about teaching seminary is that there is another teacher as well.  So we rotate weeks.  I think this is a great idea.  Miriam Williamson is the other teacher and she has been doing it for the past 4 years and I believe she has taught seminary for over 10 years in her time as a member.  She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met!  She came over and discussed everything with me to make sure I would be ready to teach.  She even brought me beautiful flowers, which I realized could be an act of condolence for being called… jk.


This year we are studying the Book of Mormon, which I could not be more excited about.  I was so happy to hear we would be studying it this year.  We have 8 students in the class and seminary meets via Skype M/T/TH/F every week at 6:30AM.  We meet on Wednesday nights at the chapel for an hour before mutual so we can meet face to face every once in a while.  When I found out it was done through Skype, without video, I semi-panicked at how difficult this seemed to engage the students and feel as if they were learning something.


Today I taught for the first time.  I barely slept last night because I was anxious/excited/nervous.  For those of you who know me really well, know that I always have sleeping issues when I have something that puts me way outside of my comfort zone.  My sister Becky called me last night at 12:30AM last night and it helped me feel calmer about today.  I feel like the Lord helped me to be calm while I taught and helped my lesson to flow.  Since I could not see the students’ faces, I am not 100% sure how the lesson impacted them.  I hope that they were able to take away something from the lesson today on Mosiah 26.  Their commitment today is to do something that will help grow their testimonies (it can be as simple as saying their prayers).  I know that I have already learned a ton!  I am excited to cover Mosiah 27 tomorrow which is a chapter that I really love!

Message from President Thomas S. Monson
“I Ask You to Participate in Seminary”


“Seminary has blessed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Latter-day Saint youth. I remember my own seminary experience. Seminary for me was held at an early hour in a little house across the street from my high school. I thought, if my teacher can get up that early, I can get up that early.

“Seminary will help you to understand and rely on the teachings and Atonement of Jesus Christ. You will feel the Spirit of the Lord as you learn to love the scriptures. You will prepare yourselves for the temple and for missionary service.

“Young people, I ask you to participate in seminary. Study your scriptures daily. Listen to your teachers carefully. Apply what you learn prayerfully” (Thomas S. Monson, August 12, 2011)


Simon and I are still teaching the valiant boys in primary as well.  I guess the Lord really wants me to study the gospel while I am in England with all of these teaching opportunities.  It has been a huge blessing in helping me fill my time while I am here and help me feel like I am doing something worthwhile.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the calling! Seth is also a Seminary teacher with a partner, it makes it so nice, but I didn't realize they have that elsewhere too. I hope you enjoy your time teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I just noticed that I was on my husband's account - this is Janette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be such a great seminary teacher! So crazy that it's by skype.

    ReplyDelete