Sunday 1 December 2013

Thanksgiving

I had a hard time this past Thanksgiving because we were so far away from family.  Since it was just the two of us we decided not to spend a lot of money buying a turkey and cooking all that food.  I think it was the first time in my life that I have not spent thanksgiving with people (yes Simon is a person, but you all know what I mean).  Since Simon and I were trying to be low maintenance, we decided to eat at McDonald’s on Thanksgiving Day.  It was the most American place we could think of.  Haha.  I hate McDonald’s in the states, but for some reason it tastes good here.  Maybe because it is the only fast food restaurant they really have.  

Mickey D's

Simon also decided he was going to make a pumpkin pie.  On his first attempt he forgot to add the eggs (the recipe calls for 4).  He didn’t realize he forgot to add them until the pie was out of the oven and I had opened the fridge to see all the eggs still there.  Oh well.  We went the next day to get more pie stuff and made it again.  The second pie turned out much better. 

Simon and his ingredients... Recipe courtesy of Suzie Romans

Pouring the eggless pie

Pre-cooked pie

2nd pie with eggs- Scrummy

There are so many things I have to be grateful for.  I wanted to take a minute to name some of them that we are grateful for at this time in our lives.  Here goes:
  • I am grateful that Simon was able to find two jobs, one at the Disney store (his fav, not) and one at the University.  Since I cannot work, it has been a huge blessing that he can.
  •  I am grateful for Skype!  I am able to call and see my family for free, it is amazing!!!  I have even met my new niece Eve Kathleen via Skype and can’t wait to meet her in person.
  •  I am grateful that we live in a great location… 10 minute walk to the grocery store, 10 minute walk to the train station, 15 minute walk to the library and the city center, and 15 minute walk to Simon’s school.
  • I am grateful for my church callings… teaching the Valiant boys with Simon in primary, teaching Seminary with Miriam Williamson (she is great!), and being a visiting teacher.
  • I am grateful that we have been able to travel, and to find cheap deals to do so.
  • Simon says he is grateful that I understand him better after living in his home country for the past 3 months.

·         We are both grateful for the tender mercies Heavenly Father has blessed us with and look forward to the last 3 months we have in England together.


No comments:

Post a Comment